Skip to content
Learn About Energy
Use Energy Efficiently
Help the Environment
Tell Me More
Natural Gas Safety-SMART!
Natural Gas Science
The Travels of Natural Gas
Gas Pipeline Safety
Using Gas Safely
Using Gas Efficiently
Tell Me More
Natural Gas Glossary
What to Do If You Smell Gas
Natural Gas Evacuation Safety
Natural Gas Appliance Safety
Common Sense Gas Safety
Natural Gas Safety World Videos
Natalie & Gus Explore the World of Natural Gas Video
Contact 811 Before You Dig Video
How Dense Can You Be?
Make the Sustainable Choice
Find the Hidden Dangers
811 Before You Dig
Natural Gas FAQ
Natural Gas History
Careers in Energy
66261 Kids Energy Inspection
Home Energy Inspection
Is your household doing as much as it can to save energy?
Print this checklist
and do this inspection with your parents or another adult. Post your completed checklist to remind your family how to save.
1. Do you turn off lights, computers and gaming systmes when you are not using them?
2. Do you have light-emitting diode (LED) light bulbs in your home?
3. Do you wash most of your laundry in cold water?
4. Do you have energy- and water-saving showerheads?
5. Do you take short showers and/or half-full baths?
6. Do you run full loads in your dishwasher, clothes washer, and dryer?
7. Do you use the “Air Dry” or “No-Heat Dry” setting on your dishwasher?
8. Do you close draperies or blinds to help keep the heat out during the summer and to help keep the heat in during the winter?
9. Do your doors and windows have weatherstripping and caulking to block drafts?
10. Has your family unplugged appliances you rarely use, such as a second refrigerator or freezer?
11. Is regular maintenance done on your heating and cooling system—cleaning or replacing filters monthly and a yearly tune-up?
Go to Top